To attract qualified foreign professional to the European Union, and integrate them into the EU market, the German Residence Act allows for non-EU residents to be issued an EU Blue Card, which is essentially a four year residence permit that can be repeatedly renewed, or used to transition directly to permanent residence (PR) – and move freely across the Union. Germany issues more Blue Cards than any other European country. Between 2013 and 2018, the number of Blue Card holders in Germany more than doubled.
- The applicant does not need to know the German language
- No need to incur costs for private health insurance
- Freedom of movement within the European Union
- Eventually, Blue Card holders can apply for German PR – subject to the German language requirement
- Candidates are not picked through a priority examination system – which makes the process fair and simple
To migrate to Europe with the Blue Card, candidates must fulfill some general requirements related to their credentials as well as their residential address in the destination country. In addition to this, they must also:
- Hold a recognized academic degree – either from a German institution or an equivalent higher education qualification from a country other than Germany – or have comparable work experience of at least five years.
- Have a contract of employment in the destination country. This can be more easily arranged by investing in a business in that country, and being self-employed.
- Have an annual income of at least €55,200 (approximately ₹5 lakhs).
- Be granted Blue Card approval by a recognized authority.
Note: Blue Card holders cannot switch jobs without permission from the foreigners’ authority.
In Germany, an EU Blue Card holder can apply for PR after either 21 months or 33 months of residing in the country, depending on their German language skills. This is one of the most convenient and streamlined lawful pathways to PR in Europe. For further guidance on the application procedure and eligibility criteria, seek the reliable guidance of experienced consultants at Abhinav – India’s most widely-referenced immigration consultancy, since 1994.