If India has no Dual Citizenship, how do NRIs live in India?
India does not permit dual Citizenship but offers – for the Indian Diaspora – what is known as Overseas Citizen of India (OCI). One needs to surrender your current Citizenship to attain an Indian Passport and vice-versa.
The Indian origin citizens of other countries can apply for OCI, giving them lifetime free movement in and out of India. The OCI permit holders can enjoy many rights as Indian Citizens, such as freedom to work and live anywhere in India. However, you may be able to participate in democratic elections, voting, or hold public office.
Below are the benefits of OCI permit:
1) Access to multiple entries and life-long multi-purpose visa to India
2) Can stay in India indefinitely without registration to FRRO (Foreigner Regional Registration Office) or local authorities
3) Exemption from the Police Verification and other reporting for the length of stay in India
4) Have equality for financial, economic, and education amenities without any special permissions
5) Can open NRE, NRO, or FCNR account in Indian banks
6) Can purchase residential and commercial properties but not permitted to buy agricultural land
7) Can apply for Indian Citizenship after five years of issuance of OCI and must stay a minimum of one year continuously in India.
Case Study – A popular Indian Cinema Actor Mr. Akshay Kumar is an Indian-born Canadian Citizen. Due to several flops in the movie business, he moved to Canada and became Canadian Citizenship by naturalization. However, he is still working in India due to the provision of Overseas Citizen of India (OCI).
For those applying for the Citizenship by Investment program, you need to worry about renouncing your Indian Passport. With an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) permit, you can still reside in India with your family and conduct other business activities freely.
If you wish to know more about the OCI Process, Citizenship, and Residency by Investment programs, you can opt for our free immigration counseling and guidance. For more details, reach us @ 8595338595 or on [email protected].